Sunday, April 24, 2011

Shepard's Pie

 
This is the ultimate family style recipe.  You can expand and make it as big as you would like.  It is definitely not for those watching their waistline.
 

I like to slow cook the roast in the crock pot all day on low.  It really cuts down the preparation time with this meal. 
 
I start off by making my roast brew by adding to the crock pot onions, fresh garlic, rosemary, and basil.   For spices, I use montreal steak seasoning.  I cover with one beer, and I let this cook all day on low.  I like to use Fat Tire.  This beer adds a very nice flavor to the au jus.  I highly recommend you pay close attention to the beer you add.  If you add a bitter beer, you will get a bitter sauce. 
 
You will cook all day until the meat falls apart when you try to pick it up with a fork. 


 
Once the meat has finished cooking, you will remove the roast and shred in a deep large casserole pan.  Cover with a couple handfuls of frozen peas.
 
You will strain the au jus into a medium size sauce pan. 
 
 
 
This is when I start to cook my potatoes.  I leave the skin on red potatoes and cut into quarters.  I let them boil  while I make my gravy.
 
Next, you will make the gravy.  These are the components I use to make my gravy. 

First, you will add a couple tablespoons of flour, bring to a boil, then I reduce heat and let it cook.  Once the sauce thickens, I add a teaspoon beef bouillon and let it cook.  Last, I remove the sauce from the heat and add cognac and one fresh small rosemary sprig.  I let the sauce set off heat for about a minute or two.  Then, I reintroduce low heat.  The prevents the cognac from flaming.  I let the sauce sit on low while I mash my potatoes. 



The garlic cheesy mash potatoes sauce starts off in a small sauce pan.  I add garlic olive oil, butter, fresh garlic and a couple leaves of rosemary.  I let the sauce melt and sit on low.  I add a little milk prior to mixing with my potatoes. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
By hand, I mash my potatoes and add the garlic sauce.  Last, I add a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese.  I mash everything together until smooth. 
Last, I season the potatoes with montreal steak seasoning.  This spice adds salt, pepper, garlic which really adds a nice flavor to the potatoes.


I add the garlic cheesy mash potatoes on top of the shredded beef in the casserole pan. 



I top the dish off with a handful of mozzarella cheese.  I bake at 350 for 25 minutes. 


You are ready to eat!!




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment