Sunday, April 10, 2011

Orange Basil Chicken


The three key elements in this recipe is naval oranges, sweet basil and orange infused extra virgin olive oil.


The first thing I did was juice 2 naval oranges.  I took a few tablespoons of the juice and I mixed with the other two ingredients to create a marinade. I salt and pepper to season the meat.

With this recipe today, I am focusing on a healthier style of cooking that would be considered a recipe used when you are watching what you are eating.  I use skinless chicken breasts to start with.  I watch the amount of oil I add to the dish.
After the marinating, I bake the chicken at 350 degrees with a meat thermometer to make sure the internal meat was cooked to proper temperature of 170 F (for breast meat). 



Next, I prepare the sauce of glaze.  In a small sauce pan I add the rest of the orange juice, 1Tb orange infused EVOO, one sweet basil leaf from my garden, 2 cloves, fresh ginger, garlic and 1/4cup of orange marmalade.  I let this mixture simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. 


At the final step of cooking the meat, I add some glaze to the meat and turn up the oven to broil to help create a crust and caramelize the topping on the meat. 
I serve this dish with brown rice and spinach.  The glaze goes well with all these components in the dish.  I add freshly chopped sweet basil as the finishing touch.

 This is a super easy and very healthy dish. 
Another variation, you can substitute salmon in the dish. 
Another more variation for those not caring about the waistline, you can make a macadamia nut crust for the chicken and broil the chicken and glaze.  The idea comes from Hawaii.  They love to add finely chop macadamia to build crust.  You can add this fish and poultry.  The main issue with macadamia nuts is they are crazy high in fat!  If you want to add a top layer of crust, then you would add the flavor with less fat.
In this picture and dish, I add some heat to fit my personal taste.   

1 comment: