Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cream of Garlic Soup with Prawns


When I was in Austria last year, I came across the most delicious soup.  It was a very simple soup, the cream of garlic soup.  I am not sure how they prepared this soup at the restaurant in Austria.  It was definitely a very tasty soup, but it was very simple.  It was very thin with nothing but chunks of garlic floating around.  It was to die for!  I decided to try a few ideas when I got home, and I came up with this recipe. 




Basically, I start off in a very large and deep pan, I add garlic olive oil, onion, tons of fresh garlic, cauliflower, potatoe, fresh thyme, basil and rosemary from my garden.  I barely cover the mixture with vegatable broth.  I bring the mix to a boil, and then I let it simmer until the potatoes and cauliflower are soft.



I know you may be wondering why I add potatoe and cauliflower?  I am going to use them as my thicking agent when I blend the soup.  When chosing a soup thicking process, you have a lot of options.   I prefer to use veggies instead of bread.  I found that potatoe and cauliflower add a great deal of density and nutrition to the soup without adding a ton of flavor.  They are pretty neutral in flavor. 



Next, I puree the mixture with my handheld.  When finished, the soup should be super thick. 

At this time, you will add the cream.  I decided to go with a lowfat option.  In this area, you have a variety of options.  If you want the full cream, that would be the first option.  Or, you can substitute a heavy cream with a can of low fat or fat free evaporated milk.  Or, you can do a combination of low and fat free. 



Next, I sautee prawns in a garlic oil and fresh garlic mixture.  It is a quick cooking time.  You should serve this the second the prawns turn pink.



I pour the prawns and the garlic juice over the soup and serve!  You can garnish with parsley or scallions.

This is one of my all time favor soups.  It is hearty  and very filling.  When you use a lowfat or fat free creaming method, it is more healthy than traditional cream soups.


 PS- Probably best to make this on a night when you know you are not going to be out and about.  The garlic is rather strong!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment